Saturday, February 20, 2010

X is for...eXquisite

X is a hard one, so I kind of cheated on this letter. But it is in the word "exquisite" so I decided to work around that. I just re-subscribed to Elle Decor after taking a year off. I am so glad I did, it's one of my absolutely favorite magazines. Only downside...it gives me major home envy. In the most recent issue they featured the home of Oprah Show producer, Ellen Raiketen's Chicago apartment. Holy Cow. Give me the keys, I want to move in with her. Every detail, her colors, the furnitue, the artwork...EXQUISITE!

In the article, Ellen describes her taste as being all over the board. She claims to be a bit "hollywood regency, flea market, midcentury French, modern, granny chic, beachy, and english club". When I read this I could totally relate! My taste in home decor is very schizophrenic too. But for Ellen, with the help of Nate Berkus and Anne Coyle she was able to combine all of her different aesthetics into one gorgeous home. By the way, Ellen was able to buy the 2 units above them and undergo a 20 month renovation to expand their space and create a home that would accommodate her family, which includes 2 growing boys.

Please excuse my scanner, my pics don't do it justice.  But here are some of my favorite rooms in the home...

the Dressing room is phenomenal. Love the big windows and all the natural light. The Chandelier is vintage Bauges. The rug is patchwork cowhide. How amazing is that?



I am not so crazy about the table and chairs, BUT...those hand painted silk wall coverings speak to me. If you look closely there are birds and beautiful flowers. And the mirrored buffet table is a fun pop to the otherwise formal room. The chandelier is Ventetian.



This is the library. It is so cozy to me, I would love to sit in this room and read or work on my blog. Ha! The wall color is phenomenal, it is called Off Black by Farrow and Ball. I need this color in my home. I also am planning to do a wall cluster like she has done here. It's such a great way to display smaller photos and works of art.


The bottom two pics are of her boys rooms. I doubt my son would be sporting a cashmere Hermes throw, but I love that she has that thrown in there! I especially love her clean white kitchen and the breakfast nook. 

I guess I will be calling Nate next time I need to re-do my home...



1 comment:

  1. "eXquisite" was the word of the day on Sesame Street last week...and I would DIE for that exquisite dressing room. Absolutely die!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails