Saturday, February 6, 2010

S if for Sauvignon Blanc!

About 70% of the time I am a bubbly girl, but when it comes to wine I am a tried and true Sauvignon Blanc drinker. My husband and I got turned on to New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc's a few years ago, and it seems like when it comes to white wine this is what we enjoy the most. I think it is the crisp, fruity flavors and light body of these wines that make them so easy (and tasty!) to drink. A lot of people prefer this in the summer, but we really like it all year round. We have tried many different kinds, but these are just a few of our favorites.



This good buy has intense lemon, citrus and tropical fruit flavors that make it absolutely delicious. It's light and crisp and pairs wonderfully with a prawn salad or any fish dish. My dad happens to be a wine distributor, so this is always stocked in our wine refrigerator!

MATUA- around $13 a bottle



According to the Wine Curmudgeon, this wine has citrus, lime and grapefruit flavors up front, and a wonderful pineapple-y middle. Serve chilled and pair it with a chicken or fish dish or even something spicy. This is a popular Sauvignon Blanc served by restaurants, it's a great price for a really good bottle of wine.

KIM CRAWFORD-around $15 a bottle



I was actually recommended this wine by a gentleman from New Zealand that I sat next to on a flight home from NYC. He said this was by far his favorite, and I would have to agree with him. With notes of  Gooseberry, citrus and passion fruit it is the perfect blend of earthy and sweet. It pairs very nicely with any seafood or vegetarian dish and of course a great salad. 

Cloudy Bay-Around $30 a bottle



When we feel like splurging on a bottle of Sauvignon, Cloudy Bay is always our first pick. We first tried this wine on the roof top terrace of the Park Hyatt in Chicago, paired with Sushi and salads. It blew us both away. It has a broad spectrum of varietal flavors which include tropical flavors of guava and mango to ripe lime/citrus and sweet herbs. It is fantastic served nice and cold...especially on a warm summer night.

What is your favorite Sauvignon Blanc?










3 comments:

  1. I just recently came across your blog and I just love it, too cute! I'm also a HUGE fan of Sauvignon Blanc, and Kim Crawford's is definitely one of my faves. Another one of my faves is Charles Krug. It was highly recommended to us by the owner of a restaurant we went to in St. John on our honeymoon, and I loved it instantly because of the grapefruity notes. At our wine store it runs about $16 a bottle. I can't wait to try some of the others you recommended soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too absolutely love sauvignon blanc. Being married to a New Zealander definitely opened my eyes to what I think New Zealand does best and that is make fabulous savs! We also drink them year round :) I love Kim Krawford....and Nobilo is a great everyday bottle as well, my favorite is actually Whitehaven. If you get the chance, try it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails