Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ode to the Olsen's

Photo courtesy of celebgawking.com

I admit it, I love the Olsen Twins. I think they are beautiful, intriguing and most of all innovative. Ever since they were photographed while getting their stars on the walk of fame, draped in vintage EVERYTHING, I was smitten. The picture above is one of my very faves, I totally knocked off Ashley's haircut after seeing this. We all know these girls are a little bit crazy, that is evident. To me it only makes them more mysterious and attractive.

I have a new found admiration of them after seeing them on Oprah last year. They were promoting their new book titled, Influence. I was pleasantly surprised to see them so poised, and dare I say intelligent?! They are true business women. From a very young age they have focused on their "brand" and currently their venture into the fashion industry, and that is why they have millions in the bank. They are not your typical Hollywood starlets. They aren't always perfectly coiffed, they often looked as if they just rolled out of bed. They have a personal style that is a mix between old Hollywood glamour and west coast bohemian. They are muses for this generation and I think that their mark on fashion is just beginning.


Before I talk about the clothes, I need to talk about their book, Influence. It is a stunning and very well executed coffee table book. Filled with pages of interviews, personal photographs and a documentary of all the things that have influenced their lives over the years, I could not get enough! The photographs are truly beautiful and the interviews are insightful and personal. A few of my faves were Diane Von Furstenburg (personal style hero of mine), Bob Colacello (editor of Interview Mag from 1971-1983 and Warhol's right hand man during the Factory days) and Karl Lagerfeld who is such a private person, but truly opened up to the girls in his interview. This book is a must if you love Art, Fashion and culture.


The twins launched their label, Elizabeth and James and it quickly caught on with high end retailers like Intermix, Bloomingdales and Shopbop. The line is a beautiful mix of masculine and feminine styles mixed with a touch of vintage chic. The line has impeccable construction and many of their pieces would be perfect staples in anyone's wardrobe. I personally love how the line is a lot of basics with a twist, the small tailoring details make their pieces unique and beautiful. The line is on the higher-end, but, as I mentioned before their pieces are sophisticated basics that you would never tire of. I have a dear friend who is the buyer/manager of Bop (the storefront for shopbop.com) and she gave me a few of their top items that are flying out the doors.


The unconstructed "boyfriend" blazer is the new jacket silhouette. I like how they paired it with shorts for an easy summer look, but of course you can always wear it with jeans. This jacket retails at $395 at shopbop.com.

I absolutely adore this dress. It is super soft Jersey on the bottom with an elastic bodice. In all black it looks quite dressy, despite the casual fabrication they used. I personally would do it in Grey, I love the color combination and it would be fun to wear out in the evening without looking too dressy. This is also $285 on shopbop.com



This blouse is a great example of their simple but sophisticated styling that make their items so beautiful. I love the pleating detail and the v-neck is perfect for pairing your favorite necklaces with. Normally it is $295, but currently it is on sale for $206.50 at shopbop.com

1 comment:

  1. I am fascinated by them too. I love their book and Ashley's haircut. Totally brought that one into the stylist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails