Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Super(model) Mom: Meet Emily

I always wanted a sister, and I am sure I bothered my Mom about this incessantly. I always wanted someone to play with, do girly things with and share every detail of my life with. Even though Emily and I are not related by blood, she is as close as one could come to being a sister.

Emily is one of the funniest people I know. She has this crazy sense of humor that totally cracks me up. I always tell her that she should be a cast member on Saturday Night Live, she would be PERFECT. On top of that she is brilliant. She worked in Finance for almost 10 years and has an MBA. And don't hate her, she is also gorgeous. She is a Kristen Bell look alike!

Em was my partner in crime in Chicago. She was up for anything and everything. She lifted me up when I was down, made me laugh constantly, and always listened without judging. I am so blessed to have such a dear and wonderful friend!

Em and sweet Charlie (11 months)

Emily and her husband now live in Indianapolis with their 2 boys Harrison and Charlie. I have to hand it to Em, because she is truly a super mom. Her husband travels a lot, so she is full-time parent for 3-5 days a  week. She never complains and she is such a wonderful mom to her boys!

Here is a peek into Em's personal style and what inspires her...

What is your daily "uniform"?
Most days I'm in leggings or skinny jeans with a cardigan of some sort. My kids are still at the age where I spend a lot of time playing with them on the floor, so I need something comfy but somewhat stylish. It also must be machine washable since I'm quite prone to spit up and other bodily fluids these days.

 Who inspires you the most as far as fashion goes?

My number one go-to fashion consultant has always been Scout herself, Melanie! My husband and I both go to her all the time for fashion advice. She even helped my husband pick out an entire outfit for me for Christmas. Nice work, Mel!

What item would you like to splurge on for Spring 2011?

Honestly, Santa was good to me this year so there aren't a ton of things I can't live without at this moment. My family just spent 2 weeks in Mexico over the holidays and it was amazing in so many ways. I would love to splurge on another warm weather family vacation this spring. Hmmmm....I'm thinking somewhere in the Caribbean? I just need to find someone who will fly with my children on a separate plane.

 What is your favorite item in your closet that you will never part with?

I'd have to say it's a small Fendi handbag I got shortly after college. It was my first "real" purse. I loved that thing and I'm pretty sure I thought I was hot stuff carrying it. I even have the matching wallet which made me feel even cooler. It has taken a beating but I still bust it out from time to time.

 What is your favorite budget item?

I am addicted to Blistex Silk & Shine. I've tried a million different chap sticks and this one is the best. It's got SPF 15 and it feels super good on your lips. I've never actually had silk on my lips but I'm pretty sure this is what it would feel like. It also has a little shine to it so I can wear it with or without lipstick.

 What is your favorite item you have splurged on for your boys?



Probably our Bugaboo Chameleon stroller. It has been worth every penny. I would highly recommend it to anyone living in a big city. We use it slightly less now that we are in the burbs, but I still love it. I also recently splurged and got our oldest son the Northface Perrito winter coat. We spend a lot of time playing in the snow and my younger son can wear it in a few years. Definitely worth the money.

If you could raid one celebrity closet, whose would it be?

I'm sure someone else has said this before, but it would have to be Jennifer Aniston. She always looks sophisticated and put together, whether she's dressed casually or on the red carpet. I also wouldn't mind having her hair and body too :)

 What was your worst fashion mistake?

I would have to say my worst mistake was the summer when I decided to lighten my hair at home rather than at a salon. My hair was basically white by the end of the summer. I don't think I'll ever attempt to color my hair at home again.


I had to add this picture, this was us all in the summer of 1999 in Chicago. Notice we ALL decided to use Sun-in to lighten our hair. YIKES!!!!

 What beauty items do you use on a regular basis and love?

I really try to take care of my skin since I'm a sun worshiper and since I did some damage when I was younger. For my body I use Vaseline Intensive Rescue with chamomile. It's not greasy, smells good, and
isn't very expensive. For my face, I pay up a bit a use Dior Hydra Life pro youth comfort cream.

Any fashion resolutions for 2011?

 My resolution is to stop buying cheap clothes. I have found some really great things at Forever 21, Target and Old Navy, but I've also realized that if I spend a little more for better quality clothes, they last much longer and look much better. I also end up buying things I don't need just because they are inexpensive.

Thanks Em for letting us get a peek into what inspires you and your favorite go-to items! And remember, I love anonymous submissions email me at mel.knopke@gmail.com if you think there is a Mom that would be perfect for this feature on Scout!

7 comments:

  1. AWWW.. I just love her Mel!!! I am totally a skinny jean and cardigan girl!!! Isn't it awesome to have that special sister like girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love that picture of her and her baby on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the way you talk about all your friends - it really inspires me to stay close with all my girlfriends that now live in Chicago and other cities... You guys really are all super model moms, so gorgeous and put together! I seriously love when you do these spotlight features because it turns me on to good beauty products and reminds me to keep buying style pieces that I'll want to wear when I'm a mom some day!
    xxoo
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading all these mom's style tips! I so agree about saving and buying nicer clothes you will love them and keep them for much longer than the cheap stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of you are beautiful inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are always cute. I'm not a mom yet and I can hardly handle trying to be cute when it's so dang cold outside. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails