Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cha Cha Cha Chia...obsessed.

Ok, so I just discovered the Chia seed. (yes, it IS the seed from the famous, Chia Pet) 

Seriously, Chia, where have you been all my life? We found a recipe for a "power breakfast" which included the seed, and now we are totally hooked. You guys, these things are amazing. 



The benefits are pretty remarkable. First off, they are said to help weight loss and reduce food cravings.  The seeds absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel; this will leave you feeling full for hours without the added calories! 

Chia seeds are extremely high in Omega 3, Protein and Fiber. By weight, the Chia seed actually has more Omega 3's than Salmon! Skip the fishy taste and add these to any of your favorite dishes and you can get the same health benefits. The Chia seed is also high in anti-oxidants which aids in preventing premature aging. The best part is, a very small amount goes a long way. 

You don't need to grind them like Flaxseed and they really have no taste and will blend in nicely with almost anything. We have been adding them to everything from our Oatmeal in the morning to protein shakes. I just also made some no-bake power balls that I substituted flax seed with Chia seeds instead and they turned out delicious. 

For the entire list of benefits, read HERE.  Is anyone else on the Chia bandwagon too? 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try chia seeds - did you find yours at a regular grocer, or some place like Trader Joe's? I'm adding them to my list this weekend. thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shan, Trader Joe's is where I found them. They are about $4.99 for a bag. A little goes a long way, I say we use about 2 TBSP a day in our diet.

      Delete
  3. Definitely going to try the Chia seeds and the power balls. I have been looking for a way to fuel my kiddos that's sweet and yummy and cheap (and I'm in control of the ingredients). Kids' Z Bars get expensive! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! I just bought these TJ Chia seeds at the suggestion of my mom. : ) She also had me try this drink(http://www.chiastar.com/. The texture is a bit weird at first, but if you can get past that, the benefits are amazing! I tried the lemon/berry, which is low carb and a nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chia seeds. I put two to three tablespoons in a container with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (enough to cover) and then refridgerate it overnight. They end of with a pudding like texture. I add a little honey or agave and have it for breakfast. So filling. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails