Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cuckoo for Coconut Oil?

My mom reads...a lot. I have to hand it to her, she definitely does her research! Her most recent obsession (after reading all the benefits of it) is Coconut Oil. Who knew this almost buttery like substance had so many beneficial attributes! According to organicfacts.net "The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc"

This is a bit of an over-share, but recently I have been dealing with a skin infection on my foot...most likely caused from a pedicure (gross, I know!!!). Even with the help of an antibiotic cream, this has been irriating me for weeks. So, my mom suggested I get coconut oil because it is said to cure skin infections because of its antifungal and antibacterial properties.

After visiting 2 local GNC's (which were sold out) I finally was able to get my hands on some today. It was buy one half off at GNC, so I got one tub to cook with and one to use for skin remedies. I can't wait to see if it's worth all the hype. My mom swears it works, and she has been using it for the past year.

Anyone else Coconut Oil users? If so, let me know your favorite way to use it!

7 comments:

  1. I have been obsessed with Coconut Oil for years Mel! I use it for lotion (great sunscreen), smoothies, baking, etc. etc. My favorite though is using it as an amazing Superfoods chocolate candy recipe that is to die for! Will share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw a recipe on pinterst that calls for coconut oil that I'm thinking of making for Easter. My friend that I work with was just telling me about coconut oil and she is using it as a deep hair conditioner. She said her hair was really greasy but after two washes it was fine and could tell a difference.
    Hope your foot is better soon. No fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using the coconut oil (the cooking kind found at whole foods) on my face for cystic pimples AND on Ruby's legs to treat her winter eczema! It works like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got some at Whole Foods today because I cannot get my baby's cradle cap to go away and hear this works like a charm! She's 5 months now and I've been treating the cradle cap since week 5 but it just keeps coming back. So far this seems to be working! My checkout woman at Target the other day was 53 but I swear she looked maybe 31 - she said her secret is that she eats a tablespoon of coconut oil every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get your foot checked out by a doctor if the coconut oil doesn't work. I got an infection in my finger after a manicure and the doctor cultured the bacteria that was in the pus (sorry to be so gross) and found there were 10 different kinds of bacteria causing the infection! Needless to say he put me on some very strong antibiotics to make sure the infection went away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use coconut spray instead of Pam when I cook. So much better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes! a while back I found a 'recipe' on how to make your own deodorant, which included coconut oil. I only needed a little, and had a whole jar left over, so I started researching other uses. i was really surprised by everything i found too! it's like the miracle oil.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails